It's cool to be in mountains when fall is just still arriving and you are among the first to feel it. This year my First Of Autumn hikes happened in Adirondacks. This area in upper state New York is probably among the most scenic part on East Coast. You got choice of 46 high peaks to climb (a High Peak is a mountain taller then 4000 ft) apart from countless small mountains and hills, several small and huge lakes to canoe and kayak or just relax on cruise, quite a few waterfalls and quint towns. The best part is you can even take small plane like Cessna 152 and fly over those mountains covered with fresh yellow, red, violet colors. It's probably some of the most scenic experience you can ever have in this part of the country. But behold! Fall is just beginning. The next best thing to do is probably long drives on colorful lonely snaky roads passing through mountains, valleys and lakes. But.. where would you go? Here's some of the best picks for autumn fall foliage road trips!
- Citysearch has their picks of top 10 fall foliage spots
- Visit GORP's Autumn kickoff. They have the great sets of scenic driving routes.
- This is commercial fall tours site but they have good adventure section and you can "steal" some of their iteneries 🙂
- America's Best also have small list
- If you are in New Jersey, pick your road trip from this great routes through out NJ.
- Last thing: How would you know when and where it's peak of fall colors? There are 3 sites which can tell you when it's time to go: Foliage Network, USDA Forest Services and this other site.