While my wife would be celebrating Chinese New Year on more native land of Hong Kong, there would be quite a few events happening in NEw York city. The big parade is on Sunday 25th in Chinatown with dragons and lions, all red and gold, along with other events. Chinatown-Online gives nice little info on traditions of Chinese New Year and other festivities dates.
The major deal of New Year is, of course, lavish food festivities. There is a suprisingly large number of restaurants in NYC which will be offering special New Year meals, but here are some select few places to get the Year of the Monkey off to a good start (Chanoodle is the most recommended):
- Chanoodle - (212) 349-1495 - 79 Mulberry Street (Canal Street), Chinatown
- Congee - (212) 965-5028 - 98 Bowery (Near Hester Street)
- Dim Sum Go Go - (212) 732-0797 - 5 East Broadway (Chatham Square)
- Funky Broome - (212) 941-8628 - 176 Mott Street (Broome Street)
- Joe's Ginger - 212) 966-6613 - 113 Mott Street (Near Hester Street)
- Ping's Seafood - (212) 602-9988 - 22 Mott Street (Near Mosco Street)
- Sunrise 27 - 212) 219-8498 - 27 Division Street (Near Market Street)
(Courtesy: NYTimes) However my personal choice would be the Rainbow platter at Penang, the Malaysian restaurant on Rt. 10. Have a good new year! Sing Dan Fai Lok!